On April 4, 1949, a group of 152 dedicated Southern Baptists met at Capitol Heights Elementary School and organized Morningview Baptist Church. Soon after, property was purchased on the corner of Calhoun Road and Pelzer Avenue for the construction of the church building. Reverend S. Louis Armstrong was called to pastor Morningview on May 25, 1949 and on April 12, 1950, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new building. The building (the “old” North wing) was completed in December and held its first service on Christmas Eve of that year. In February of 1955 another structure (the South wing) was completed to house additional Sunday School Departments and a large and beautiful worship auditorium.
Morningview continued to grow with the community over the next several years. In the spring of 1963, it became apparent that more space was needed and once again, the church decided to enter into a building program. Groundbreaking for the new Sanctuary was held on August 30, 1964 and the new steeple was erected in March 1965. The building was dedicated on October 17, 1965, with over 800 members and guests in attendance. With the completion of the new Sanctuary, the South Wing was renovated into a three-story building containing space for several Sunday school departments and a recreational area.
In April 1977, Dr. Armstrong resigned as pastor to accept a pastorate of an English speaking church in Bogotá, Columbia. In February 1978, Dr. Hayden Center accepted the call to become pastor and he served until April 1981. During his ministry, growth in Sunday school enrollment and attendance in all services was experienced.
In January 1982, Dr. Philip D. Wise accepted the call and began his ministry later that month. During his tenure, the church adopted a plan to renovate the present buildings. The plan included connecting the buildings, building a canopy over the back entrance to the South Wing, installing an elevator, parking lot work, sound system in the Sanctuary, renovations in the pre-school area, finishing the balcony, and remodeling all educational areas. This building project was completed in the spring of 1984.
Dr. Wise resigned in October 1989 and Rev. Greg Belser was called in May of 1990. Under his leadership, Morningview became known for strong expository preaching. In October of 1992, a dedication service was held for an Intercessory Prayer Room and each member was asked to commit one hour a week to intercessory prayer.
Early in 1998, it was decided to renovate or rebuild the North Wing. A fund raising campaign called “Forward in Faith” was established to pledge the new project. In the fall of 1998, preparations began to demolish the old North Wing and rebuild. Groundbreaking was held on November 1, 1998 and the new educational facility was completed in the summer of 1999.
In the Spring of 2005, Dr. Belser followed God’s call to pastor in Mississippi. The year that followed was filled with many challenges, but the church emerged from that time with a renewed resolve to seek the glory of God among the nations. During that interim period, the new parking lot and bus barn on Calhoun Road were completed and indebtedness for the new north wing was paid off. Then, in April of 2006, Dr. Shawn Merithew accepted the call to be Morningview’s 5th pastor. Under his leadership, Morningview is continuing to faithfully proclaim God’s Word and to develop into a family of faith characterized by biblical church health, true spiritual depth, and passionate Gospel ministry.