Morningview’s Church Covenant is a biblical promise that each church member makes to God and to the church, agreeing to live the way God would have us live.
Regarding the Scriptures, God, and Salvation:
- We believe that the Bible is absolute truth, the inspired and inerrant Word of God (2 Tim 3:16; Jn 17:17; Ps 119:160).
- We believe that God is one being in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit (Matt 28:19; 2 Cor 13:14).
- We believe that all human beings are sinners who deserve God’s anger and judgment (Rom 2:5; 3:23; 6:23). Sinners are unable to save themselves from God’s wrath by their own good works (Gal 3:10) and are unable to change themselves without God’s effectual work in their hearts (Rom 3:10-12; Lam 5:21).
- We believe that God saves men by His sovereign grace alone and that none deserves mercy more than any other (2 Tim 1:9; Eph 1:3-10).
- We believe that Jesus Christ died to save His people from their sins and that He will not lose any (Matt 1:21; Jn 6:39). Everyone without exception or distinction is invited and commanded to come to Christ for salvation (Acts 17:30).
- We believe that God initiates salvation in those who are saved, that He effectually draws them to Himself by His Spirit (Jn 6:37, 44-45, 65), and that He gives them repentance (Acts 5:31; 11:8) and faith (Eph 2:8-9; Phil 1:29) in Christ as a result of the new birth (1 Jn 5:1). At the moment they repent of sin and trust Christ, God forgives their sin, imputes Christ’s righteousness to them, and so justifies them and grants them a title to eternal life (Jn 3:16-17, 36).
- We believe that God preserves everyone He saves and that not one will be lost (Phil 1:6; 1 Cor 1:8). All God preserves will persevere in Christ to the end, bearing the fruit of repentance and faith with a godly life of faithful obedience to His revealed Word (1 Cor 15:10; Phil 2:12-13).